Ask Santa Monica College!

Find quick answers to FAQs about admissions and more!

Our Best Answer - Can I be waived or exempted from the assessment/placement tests?

Waivers and Exemptions

Waivers may be granted for English, ESL, Math, or Chemistry classs based on successfully completed applicable college-level classwork or AP Exams.


  • ACCUPLACER (English/ESL) and/or COMPASS (Math, English/ESL) assessments taken at another institution. Note: ACCUPLACER is not accepted for math placement.
  • Completed college class work
  • Eligible Advanced Placement (AP) exam results
  • CAASPP, CSU and/or EAP test results

You must complete the appropriate form(s) and attach relevant documentation requested.

For more information, visit Waivers and Exemptions.

How helpful was this answer?

Suggested Questions

Does SMC accept SAT/ACT scores in place of assessment test scores?

Do you accept assessment results from other colleges including other states?

What is the purpose of the assessment tests?

Do I need to take the assessment tests seriously and prepare?

If I know which Math class I want to take, can I just take the portion of the test that may deal with skills taught in that class?

Ask another question!

Simply enter your question below and click 'Submit'

Note: Ask SMC is a self-service tool to help students find answers to their questions, 24 hours a day. This tool is not a live chat service.

Didn't find your answer?