Ask Santa Monica College!

Find quick answers to FAQs about admissions and more!

Our Best Answer - How do I qualify for the AB540 nonresident tuition exemption?

AB 540 Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Qualifications

This exemption is available to undocumented immigrants, permanent residents of the U.S., and U.S. citizens who must have:

  • Attended a high school in California for 3 or more years; and 
  • Graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent thereof (e.g. passed the GED in California or the California High School Proficiency exam or received a Certificate of Completion); and 
  • Enrolled, or is registering to be enrolled, at a California Community College, a California State University or at the University of California after January 1, 2002.

Non-immigrant students are not eligible for this exemption. Non-immigrant students, as defined by federal immigration law, may hold one of the following visas: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, TN, TD and V, and TROV and NATO.

All students applying for this exemption must sign an affidavit. If a student is without lawful immigration status, the student must state that he/she has filed an application to legalize his/her immigration status or will file an application as soon as he/she is eligible to do so.

For more information, visit AB 540 Frequently Asked Questions

How helpful was this answer?

Suggested Questions

What are the requirements for the AB540 exemption?

What is the tuition for F-1 international students?

How much does it cost to attend SMC?

Does a granted AB540 exemption mean the student now has resident status?

Who is not eligible for the AB 540 exemption?

Ask another question!

Simply enter your question below and click 'Submit'

Note: Ask SMC is a self-service tool to help students find answers to their questions, 24 hours a day. This tool is not a live chat service.

Didn't find your answer?