Ask Santa Monica College!

Find quick answers to FAQs about admissions and more!

Our Best Answer - How do I know which classes to take?

Deciding what Classes to Take

Deciding what classes to take will depend on your academic goal. Generally, students with AA or transfer goals are taking classes to meet general education and major preparation requirements. Students wishing to transfer to a UC or CSU campus will choose courses from the IGETC general education pattern. Major preparation information for the UC and CSU system is found at the Assist website. General education and major requirements are also required for the AA degree. Students interested in a Department Certificate or Certificate of Achievement, just need to complete the required certificate classes. Make sure to meet with a counselor to better discuss your educational goals.

How helpful was this answer?

Suggested Questions

I am an SMC Online student and do not know where to go to login or access my class?

How do I get my textbooks?

Will the courses I take at SMC transfer to a university?

What do I do if a class I want to take is full?

What are the status categories under which a person may establish residency?

Ask another question!

Simply enter your question below and click 'Submit'

Note: Ask SMC is a self-service tool to help students find answers to their questions, 24 hours a day. This tool is not a live chat service.

Didn't find your answer?