Ask Santa Monica College!

Find quick answers to FAQs about admissions and more!

Our Best Answer - What is Exit Counseling?

Exit Counseling

Federal regulations require students who have borrowed a Federal Stafford Loan and are graduating, leaving school, or dropping below half-time to complete an exit counseling session.

For more information, visit Student Loans website and the Department of Education's Student Loans website.

How helpful was this answer?

Suggested Questions

How can I meet with a counselor?

What can I do if I have been harassed or sexually assaulted?

How do I request a leave of absence from SMC?

How do I meet with a Financial Aid Counselor?

How do I get more information on the various Counseling programs?

Ask another question!

Simply enter your question below and click 'Submit'

Note: Ask SMC is a self-service tool to help students find answers to their questions, 24 hours a day. This tool is not a live chat service.

Didn't find your answer?

Contact Us

Admissions (application, adding/dropping, transcripts, holds)

Bursar's Office (pay fees, undo fees, IDs)


Classes Offered

Counseling Questions

Course Selection

Financial Aid

How to Use Corsair Connect

International Student Admission


Passwords and SSO

Tuition and Fees