Ask Santa Monica College!

Find quick answers to FAQs about admissions and more!

Our Best Answer - How do I take the assessment tests if I live out of state?

Out of Area/State Assessment Options

If you wish to enroll at SMC, you may be permitted to complete the assessments at another institution, but only if the assessments are the same as the ones used at SMC (see below for assessment names). Raw scores for these assessments must be provided. If you live in the greater Los Angeles/Ventura area, you must come to SMC to take your assessment. 

If you are able to meet the above criteria, please use the link below to request a waiver for the appropriate level English and/or Math class at SMC.


You may also want to contact our Outreach Office for support as an out-of-state student.

How helpful was this answer?

Suggested Questions

Do I need to make an appointment to take an assessment test?

What is the purpose of the assessment tests?

Do I need to take the assessment tests seriously and prepare?

Can I complete the Orientation before I take my assessment?

What if I fail the assessment tests?

Ask another question!

Simply enter your question below and click 'Submit'

Note: Ask SMC is a self-service tool to help students find answers to their questions, 24 hours a day. This tool is not a live chat service.

Didn't find your answer?

Contact Us

Admissions (application, adding/dropping, transcripts, holds)

Bursar's Office (pay fees, undo fees, IDs)


Classes Offered

Counseling Questions

Course Selection

Financial Aid

How to Use Corsair Connect

International Student Admission


Passwords and SSO

Tuition and Fees