Ask Santa Monica College!

Find quick answers to FAQs about admissions and more!

Our Best Answer - Is there financial aid for F-1 international students?

Financial Resources for International F-1 International Students

F-1 international students currently attending SMC can apply for scholarships through the SMC Foundation once they have completed 12 units. Scholarships are limited and amounts generally range from around $200 on up. 

F-1 international students can also apply for part-time student help jobs on campus. 

If the financial situation of a student’s sponsor changes dramatically after the first year of study and the sponsor is no longer able to provide for the student, the student may be eligible to apply for an off-campus work permit through the International Education Center.  If granted an off-campus work permit, students will be allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week.

How helpful was this answer?

Suggested Questions

What are the general requirements for F-1 international students to apply to SMC?

What types of Federal Financial Aid are available?

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Can you show me student demographics and transfer statistics?

Does SMC offer study abroad programs?

Ask another question!

Simply enter your question below and click 'Submit'

Note: Ask SMC is a self-service tool to help students find answers to their questions, 24 hours a day. This tool is not a live chat service.

Didn't find your answer?

Contact Us

Admissions (application, adding/dropping, transcripts, holds)

Bursar's Office (pay fees, undo fees, IDs)


Classes Offered

Counseling Questions

Course Selection

Financial Aid

How to Use Corsair Connect

International Student Admission


Passwords and SSO

Tuition and Fees