Ask Santa Monica College!

Find quick answers to FAQs about admissions and more!

Our Best Answer - What types of Federal Financial Aid are available?

Types of Federal Financial Aid

There are three types of Federal Financial Aid: grants, loans, and work study. (A grant is money that does not need to be paid back. Loans are borrowed from a bank and MUST be repaid. Work study is a job on campus.)

How helpful was this answer?

Suggested Questions

How long does it take from the time I submit my FAFSA to when I receive my first check?

Is there financial aid for F-1 international students?

Does a granted AB540 exemption mean the student now has resident status?

What is SMC's federal school code?

Where can I find a campus map?

Ask another question!

Simply enter your question below and click 'Submit'

Note: Ask SMC is a self-service tool to help students find answers to their questions, 24 hours a day. This tool is not a live chat service.

Didn't find your answer?

Contact Us

Admissions (application, adding/dropping, transcripts, holds)

Bursar's Office (pay fees, undo fees, IDs)


Classes Offered

Counseling Questions

Course Selection

Financial Aid

How to Use Corsair Connect

International Student Admission


Passwords and SSO

Tuition and Fees