Ask Santa Monica College!

Find quick answers to FAQs about admissions and more!

Our Best Answer - Do I have to go to school full-time to receive Federal Financial Aid?

Eligibility Requirements

No. If your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) is 0, you will receive financial aid even if you take a single unit.

Federal work study students must maintain at least 6 units per semester while working. State aid requires to be at least 6 units for the CalGrant and 12 units for the full-time Student Success Grant (FTSSG).

How helpful was this answer?

Suggested Questions

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

How long does it take from the time I submit my FAFSA to when I receive my first check?

What types of Federal Financial Aid are available?

Do I have to "do well" in school to receive Federal Financial Aid?

Can you show me student demographics and transfer statistics?

Ask another question!

Simply enter your question below and click 'Submit'

Note: Ask SMC is a self-service tool to help students find answers to their questions, 24 hours a day. This tool is not a live chat service.

Didn't find your answer?

Contact Us

Admissions (application, adding/dropping, transcripts, holds)

Bursar's Office (pay fees, undo fees, IDs)


Classes Offered

Counseling Questions

Course Selection

Financial Aid

How to Use Corsair Connect

International Student Admission


Passwords and SSO

Tuition and Fees