Ask Santa Monica College!

Find quick answers to FAQs about admissions and more!

Our Best Answer - How do I apply for a student loan?

Applying for a Loan

Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the federal processor.

  • After SMC receives the information regarding your federal aid application, you will be sent an electronic tracking letter requesting certain documents.
  • While submitting all of the initial requested financial aid documents, download the Loan Documents (Stafford Loan Application, Loan Reference Form and Loan Budget Worksheet) from the Loans section of the Financial Aid website.
  • The completed Loan Documents can then be submitted along with an Educational Plan from an SMC Academic Counselor.

Please Note: Your loan request documents go to a committee for assessment. Students awarded a Stafford Loan will be notified with and guidance for completing an Entrance Loan Workshop and a Master Promissory Note through their Corsair Connect financial aid portal.

How helpful was this answer?

Suggested Questions

How do I apply to SMC?

What types of Federal Financial Aid are available?

Can you show me student demographics and transfer statistics?

Do I have to go to school full-time to receive Federal Financial Aid?

What is OPT?

Ask another question!

Simply enter your question below and click 'Submit'

Note: Ask SMC is a self-service tool to help students find answers to their questions, 24 hours a day. This tool is not a live chat service.

Didn't find your answer?

Contact Us

Admissions (application, adding/dropping, transcripts, holds)

Bursar's Office (pay fees, undo fees, IDs)


Classes Offered

Counseling Questions

Course Selection

Financial Aid

How to Use Corsair Connect

International Student Admission


Passwords and SSO

Tuition and Fees